Friday 21 November 2008

Hamster House

We bought a posh house each for out hamsters. Aran seems to like his, but Rowan doesn't like his - he will not sleep in it.
So, I looked for a knit pattern for a hamster nest, and couldn't find anything suitable.

So I designed this one.

Hamster Home

Yarn: Rowan Pure Wool Aran (Sage), leftovers
Needles: 4.5mm dpns, set of 5.

Gauge is not that important as long as your hamster can fit into the nest. My hamsters are dwarf hamsters, so if you have a Syrian hamster you might want to make it bigger.

Pattern:
Main Section
Cast on 44 Stitches and join in the round on 4 needles, 11 on each needle
Work 4 rounds of moss stitch
Switch to stocking stitch and work until tube is 2 inches long

Decrease section
Round 1
knit to within 4 sts of end of needle, k2tog, k4, ssk, knit to end of needle, knit to within 4 sts of end of needle, k2tog, k4, ssk, knit to end of round.
Round 2
Knit

Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until there are 12 stitches remaining

Graft end closed.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Gerbil Knitting said...

That is so cool. I love it. I am going to make one for my hammie.